People often say that boob-jobs will never go out of fashion. The growth of the plastic surgery sector has seen more and more procedures become minimally invasive in nature. Since 2000, there has been a 200% increase in techniques such as Botox, chemical peels and fillers. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has stated that in the year 2017, there have been over 17.5 million plastic surgeries done in the US alone. Of the 17.5 million procedures, over 16 million were non-invasive in nature. Around 2 million of the procedures were services such as liposuction, breast augmentation and rhinoplasty. It is of no surprise that the percentage of cosmetic surgeries performed in the United States has raised by 2% from 2016. The United States alone spent a staggering $7 billion in plastic surgeries. Here in this article, we take a look at some of the most popular plastic surgeries that are being performed in 2018.
- Breast augmentation was one of the most popular forms of plastic surgery that was done in 2017. It involves the increase in the size of breasts by either placing breast implants or by fat transplantation from another part of the body. The American Society of Plastic Surgery also reported that 2017 saw a spike in the number of women who decided to reduce their breast size by breast reduction surgery. The spike in percentage was said to be around 11% from the previous year.
- Liposuction is one of the most easily doable procedures in the plastic surgery world. The procedure can be performed under general or local anaesthesia. The procedure is minimally invasive and is said to have seen a 5% rise from the previous year.
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons stated that fewer people have opted for a rhinoplasty when compared to 2015. A sharp decline of 5% has been noted, but the society is positive about the number going up again this year.
- Under-eye bags or sagging eye lids is a common indication of ageing and is noted to be popular among the older crowd. The number remained constant in the previous two years, but the procedure is said to be fancied by the younger generation as well due to it being popularised by many celebrities.
- Abdominoplasty is the process by which surgeons remove excess fat and skin from the stomach area. The procedure is popularly known as tummy tuck and was performed a total 128,753 times in 2017. The figures indicate a 2% increase in popularity from 2016.